Saturday, February 21, 2009

A powdery weekend in Tahoe....

Several friends and I headed to Tahoe for Presidents Weekend! We definitely picked a great weekend to travel to Tahoe--the snow had been minimal, but while we were there....the powder was EVERYWHERE! The first day we rode at Squaw Mountain. For our first run, we went all the way to the top of the mountain. I will admit, looking over the 'edge' down the mountain, we could barley see 50 feet in front of us as the powder was everywhere and continuing to snow! Regardless, after my first attempt at some turns...I realized that there was NO way that falling was going to hurt...then the laughing ensued! All you could hear was all of us laughing the entire way down the hill! It was a very tiring day--but well worth it!

We went to a nice dinner to celebrate Valentines Day in Squaw.
The next day, Megan and I took the day off from snowboarding--and the snow continued to fall. Here is a view from our deck!
Megan and I spent the day in Tahoe City--had a nice long lunch and eventually made our way back up the hill (BIG hill, I might add) to our house. We had dropped the skiers off earlier in the morning, and had told them that we would be back to pick them up. Well....the adventure DOWN the hill, turned into one of the scariest driving experiences of my life! We were sliding everywhere! There were cars in snowbanks, that we were trying to avoid, we had to be pushed out of snowbanks several times as I tried to control the car down the road. Meanwhile, Megan is pregnant and I keep picturing me getting us in an accident! At one point, we were sliding perpendicular to the road, and I was screaming out the window "I can't do anything, I have no control", as my car slid towards other cars! Finally Megan got out of the car and hung out in a safe spot, while I tried to get the car out of a snowbank (okay, I drove while 15 men pushed), and I slowly made it to where she was. One of my favorite moments was when the 15 men were pushing my car, and I was accelerating....I heard one of them yell 'she's got the emergency break on'....OOPS! Apparently that is a BAD idea when people are pushing your car! After 1.5 hour we made it down the hill to meet up with the rest of the crew.
Here is Meg and Michelle with their newly purchased boots. We had figured out that we might not make it back up the hill...and may have to walk.

Before we could head up the hill, chains were a must! Taylor diligently reading the directions!

Ang doing her part, by holding the chains.
The finished product!
Attempting to go up the hill, was almost as interesting as the ride down. We made it about half way up, until one of the many drivers of the stopped cars described it perfectly...a complete 'junk show'. There were cars EVERYWHERE...and absolutely NO organization to getting anyone anywhere. We pushed some cars, waited for people to tow cars and....much to people's dismay....tried to stop cars from going further up the hill. People would think they could make it and just cause further drama. My favorite moment was when Ang was flipping people off her in gloves...because it just made her feel better! It was very stressful...but eventually, enough people were sorted that we could head up the hill.
Here we are right before we get to finally head up!
The next day Ang and I decided to ride at Homewood--a cute, small resort with a view of the lake! Here is me on the lift...

At the top of a run in Homewood....

We were headed down a run, when I was starting to get jealous because Ang took a different way and I could tell she was enjoying some nice powder. Soon, my jealousy subsided as Ang got stuck on a rather flat area. The next few photos would have been a great video, but hopefully the pictures will do justice of her digging out process.....
Hey....what did I get myself into?

Shoot...now I've fallen and I can't figure out how to get my footing to get leverage...
Maybe if I get over here by this tree...I can use it to help me....

Shoot...I just keep sliding....

Okay...finally to the tree...here we go....

Yep...okay snowboard...please don't start sliding.....

Ahhh....finally....I'm standing up...but my board is still buried....

Okay...I will dig it out and then figure this out....

You know what...I'll just take it off and walk......

My personal photo shoot while Ang dug herself out and hiked to where I was...

Finally....Ang up and riding again! And covered in snow like a snow ball!

We had a great day at Homewood...and then started the ONLY bad part of the trip...the drive home! The traffic to Tahoe is rough. and not helped by the snow we hit...but well worth it!

No comments: