As our first event of the X-games- we decided to try cross country skiing. All was going well as Jeanne and I slipped on our skis and headed up the hill. From behind we heard 'guys? guys'? ....and figured that Ang just wanted us to wait for her.
Well....that can't happen in the X-games (obviously) so we kept going. The 'guys, guys'? continued....and we soon realized that Ang had a faulty ski. Disqualification numero uno. I will say that she did take it back to the shop and they agreed that it was broken.
A good view of one of many peaks at Crested Butte.
"Guys, Guys......I think my ski is broken."
Soon after Jeanne and I were on our way...clearly moving our fastest!
Jeanne on the trail.
Rarely able to take a stop for a photo shoot...but every once in a while we could justify it.
Even extreme athletes need to relieve themselves. We refused to take our ski's off while we went to the bathroom to save time on our BIG race!
Ang met us at the end of the trail and we headed over to her Cousin's house to celebrate Nora (Ang's 2nd Cousin's) 1st Birthday! It was a cute crowd of kids and parents....with an even cuter cake made by her dad. Stating just the obvious "Nora is 1".
Day number two of the X-games was a day of snowboarding. Crested Butte provides a beautiful, steep mountain with many runs. Jeanne and Ang spent some time in some very treacherous areas....complete with avoiding rocks, hiking and cliffs....I spent most of my time enjoying some beautiful groomers!Headed up on our first run of the morning.
One of the beautiful views from the top.
Day three of the X-games was the most challenging. For some reason, we decided it would be a good idea to try snowmobiling. Ang's Cousin was kind (crazy) enough to round up four snowmobiles (one of which ended up not starting) and head out with us. Here is Ang looking tough on her snowmobile.
The part that Scott (Ang's cousin) forgot to tell us that he has left his snowmobile at the trail head during last spring and that it 'might' be buried. When we arrived to the trail head, Ang put it correctly when she said 'as soon as I saw it, I figured we would just be riding with one less snowmobile'. Instead....we dug the snowmobile out....shovel, after shovel....
Here is Scott and Ang standing directly on top of the snowmobile that we will then dig out...
Getting closer...we can see the top of it....
In order for Scott to drive it out of the deep hole/ramp we had dug out....two people had to lift up on the front skis and pull while he drove it out. Ang and I grabbed on, just to hear her cousin say 'hey, when I get going, don't worry, I'm going to drive over your foot but it won't hurt.'.....I mean....is that something you want to hear? He was right....it didn't hurt....but still it seemed strange to stand there while our feet were run over!
One of the beautiful views from the top.
Day three of the X-games was the most challenging. For some reason, we decided it would be a good idea to try snowmobiling. Ang's Cousin was kind (crazy) enough to round up four snowmobiles (one of which ended up not starting) and head out with us. Here is Ang looking tough on her snowmobile.
The part that Scott (Ang's cousin) forgot to tell us that he has left his snowmobile at the trail head during last spring and that it 'might' be buried. When we arrived to the trail head, Ang put it correctly when she said 'as soon as I saw it, I figured we would just be riding with one less snowmobile'. Instead....we dug the snowmobile out....shovel, after shovel....Here is Scott and Ang standing directly on top of the snowmobile that we will then dig out...
Getting closer...we can see the top of it....
In order for Scott to drive it out of the deep hole/ramp we had dug out....two people had to lift up on the front skis and pull while he drove it out. Ang and I grabbed on, just to hear her cousin say 'hey, when I get going, don't worry, I'm going to drive over your foot but it won't hurt.'.....I mean....is that something you want to hear? He was right....it didn't hurt....but still it seemed strange to stand there while our feet were run over!Finally! Scott gets the snowmobile out of the ground!

And we are off! I flipped the snowmobile in the first 15 minutes...but fortunately was going slow enough I wasn't hurt. We took some roads and eventually made our way into the trees/trails.

One of the most fun/scary times on the snowmobiles was riding double with Ang's cousin Scott. We traded off having the experience of going WAY faster than any of us would drive, catching 'air' off the jumps he thought we were qualified to go on and in my case, landing a snowmobile after Scott did a forward flip off it. Yikes!! We are all very bruised from various events.
Although it was a LOT of fun, and we felt very X-treme....Jean ended up putting her face through the windshield, cut her face and got a concussion (which we found out days later).....so, it is absolutely our most extreme sport we attempted this weekend.

And we are off! I flipped the snowmobile in the first 15 minutes...but fortunately was going slow enough I wasn't hurt. We took some roads and eventually made our way into the trees/trails.

One of the most fun/scary times on the snowmobiles was riding double with Ang's cousin Scott. We traded off having the experience of going WAY faster than any of us would drive, catching 'air' off the jumps he thought we were qualified to go on and in my case, landing a snowmobile after Scott did a forward flip off it. Yikes!! We are all very bruised from various events.
Although it was a LOT of fun, and we felt very X-treme....Jean ended up putting her face through the windshield, cut her face and got a concussion (which we found out days later).....so, it is absolutely our most extreme sport we attempted this weekend. 

No comments:
Post a Comment