Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Nearly 102 years old.....Mimi Herron

Although I would have never predicted having this be my next post after my blog about my Grandpa.....Life is funny that way- unpredictable and surreal. Mimi, my grandma, passed away on June 14th. We were blessed to have her on this earth for 101 years and the world will miss her.

Growing up, one of my favorite memories of Mimi is waking up with her at our house and piling up as many books as I could in my arms to carry into bed for her to read to us. Gabe and I would snuggle up next to her and she would alternate a book from Gabe to reading a book I brought in. She would also always share her Certs breath mints with us, which I'm just realizing could have been for her own protection! Mimi never missed a birthday party, she was at almost all of my birthday parties growing up. When I was in college, Mimi sent a letter or a card almost weekly--what a bright spot in my life.

I've always been really proud of my Mimi. I felt proud when I told people that I had a grandma living on her own, in her own house and that she was 101 years old. I felt proud that she fought through health issues and that she fought to stay in her house until she passed. I felt proud at her zest for life and her love of her family. I felt proud that she dyed her hair the reddest of red, and wore purple or pink because it made her feel great! I will miss her inspiration.

I will never forget what she told the newspaper on her 100th birthday when asked what she believed the 'key' to her long life to be: "Eat what you want, drink what you want, and chase lots of boys, but never catch them."

The comforting part to me is that Mimi's spirit will continue to live on in many peoples lives. She will be greatly missed here on earth, but I know her spirit will be with me on the most important days of my life yet to come.

No comments: