We started with a make-your-own-Quesadilla bar, not the cleanest operation--but it would help with our on-going goal of getting vegetables into their diets when they are with us. We had quite a few veggies layed out, however, when we sat down for dinner I realized that both of them had filled their tortillas with primarily cheese, guac and sour cream. I think we should at least get points for trying!
Side note, during the make-your-own Quesadilla bar, Eternity somehow slipped, hit the ground and managed to fart quite loudly. Anyone who knows me, know that NOT laughing is out of the question. So I quietly giggled and then passed the story onto Ang, who couldn't look me in the face with out laughing. It sounds so immature, I realize....but it is just the fact that you KNOW you shouldn't laugh in the face of a child, that made it worse. Eventually we held ourselves together- but this just added to the chaos of the evening.
After dinner and dinner cleanup, we moved to the project of making fudge for our neighbors. Not only did we have to borrow a portion of the sugar needed for the fudge from a neighbor (not a great start), but somehow TBSP and Tsp were confused....and the end result was some pretty salty fudge. I think we will still deliver it with a caveat of the '9 and 14 year old bakers"Mia and Eternity didn't seem to mind, as they licked the entire bowl clean!
The girls did great decorating Gingerbread Houses--they are both so creative! Besides the giggling, the only sound you heard was random candy's dropping on our hard-wood floors. Each time the candy hit the ground (which was happening every few seconds), one of them would say 'I don't know where that one went.'--without making any effort to turn their head in the direction of the fallen candy. One sweet moment of the evening, was when Eternity turned to Mia and said "Mia do you believe in Santa?", without batting and eyelid Mia said "yes"--- Mia is 13 and Eternity is 9---but kids still want other kids to experience the amazingness and mystery of Santa.
I can't say enough amazing things about Mia--in the last year she has changed more than I would have thought were possible in several years. She has earned all of her money to go to Europe next year--which is a HUGE defeat, she is a leader, gets good grades and is in a program called "Be the Change." She will do big things someday...I know it....even if she does throw candy all over the kitchen and use TBSP instead of Tsp for now!


No comments:
Post a Comment