Monday, November 23, 2009

Spanish 101

We arrived safely in Bogota around 5 a.m. this morning. The flight was completely choatic...I think they passed out water, food, water, coffee and turned on the lights....in a continuous cycle throughout the night- Ang and I were both groggy (with ambien of course) when we arrived but the ´driver´picked us up and swooped us to the hostel.

We slept for a few hours and then Ang headed to breakfast. I couldn´t think of ANYTHING I would rather do except sleep...so, I gave up breakfast for an extra 45 minutes of sleep. At breakfast Ang met a nice Swisse guy...and we spent the day with him. He has much better Spanish than either of us...which is REALLY tough when you are facing my Spanish skills.

A couple highlights of my Spanish today...I was attempting to ask a girl if she spoke English...and instead said ¨I, is, you speak english?¨ (basically telling her she spoke English).....it loosely translated, but not without giggles from Ang. Then we took a cab back to our hostel and the driver bought us chips (because the ride was long and his wife loves this kind of chips)....and I held up a chip and said ¨Nice to meet you¨...instead of ¨I like these or these are delicious¨......of course then Ang and I are laughing SO hard....I can´t say what I´m really trying to. More to come, I¨m sure.

Bogota is BEAUTIFUL!! and clean and the people are so nice! We milled around the city today- ate delicious food (including a fish with its head still on- and was delicious!)....drank coffee and took a cable car to a famous church at the top of a mt. with beautiful views of Bogota! We also had the Bogota-famous hot-chocolate and cheese (not together-but we went in thinking that was what we were getting).....We are staying at a really nice hostel in the north part of town.

We are off to dinner- and then to get some sleep! Buenos Noches! And yes...I know that means ´good night´or something of the sort!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I'm loving the updates already. Keep them coming! Sounds like it's gorgeous!