Thursday, May 22, 2008

A day in Drogheda....

Wednesday Thomas and I spent a day in Drogheda, it was nice to have a day just to relax and hang out. We visited some of his friends, drank lots of tea and ate lots of cookies....what a great day! We also visited the Battle of the Boyne, a battlefield of a famous fight between the north and the south---more history lessons from Thomas.

Pictures at the Battle of the Boyne.


Thomas also took me to a 'bookies office' where you can place bets on a myriad of sports. You wouldn't believe the number of people sitting around watching horse or dog racing. The great part is that Thomas put a bet on a 'football' (soccer for us Americans) game and we won! This is me collecting our winnings!
I spent most of the time on Wednesday mentally preparing to meet the rest of Thomas's family. We thought we were going to dinner with just his mom and dad, however; when we arrived at the restaurant there was a reservation for 6. Which meant I was also meeting his sister and her boyfriend. My nerves immediately relaxed after meeting everyone! His mom reminded me of my mom---they both knit and quilt---both are energetic about life and very down to earth! I immediately felt comfortable! We had a great dinner and great conversation! I asked Thomas on the way home if I said anything that embarrassed him...he quickly responded that I said "neat" ALOT...in fact, he has never heard me use that word before and it was a main staple of my vocabulary that night. I guess I was subconciously trying to full fill the 'airhead American' role.

No comments: