Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A day in Dublin....

Thomas and I took the train to Dublin one morning- what a wonderful city! For those of you who have been to Boston, the architecture is very similar. During the millenium, the Irish folk decided they should build something to commemorate the millenium with. Apparently, they had the best architects work on the 'design', and this is what was selected. I understand that it looks like a large light pole--and to top it off, Thomas said it was supposed to be 'self cleaning'---but come to find the sales pitch wasn't exactly true--so, an additional million was spent to clean it.

A cool mural that was painted in my favorite little part of Dublin---the members of the 'last supper' are actually well known Irish celebrities, politicians and religious figures. Proabably sac-religious at some level...but it was very well done.

We visited Trinity College, which had a beautiful campus--and an even more beautiful library. I wanted to take pictures, but there were too many 'no camera allowed' signs. If it is one or two you can get away with it, but it would have been hard to say 'I didn't see a sign ANYWHERE.'
We walked around the city a lot, it was a beautiful day...and eventually made our way to the Guiness Tour. The brewery takes up over 100 acres (I'm making that up, but it seemed like a large number) in the City of Dublin. It was a great tour--here is me being 'artsy.'

The standard picture in front of the Guiness sign.

View from the rooftop restaurant.

The backpack makes me feel like I took a minor into the bar.
Afterwards, before heading home on the train, we met up with some of Thomas's friends. One of whom he travelled with for a while in Argentina. It was a bank holiday, so the pubs spilled onto the streets and people just sat down on the curbs with their beer to enjoy the sunshine! A lovely day!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I LOVE your blog! I'm so excited to read updates and I liked seeing more pictures from your trip too. Great job!!!