Thursday, May 22, 2008

A trip to western Ireland and a CASTLE!!!

When we first figured out I was going to come to Ireland, Thomas sent me two books. The first one, being an "Irish Phrase/Culture Book", which detailed different phrases I might hear or cultural things I might run into. And the second book being the Lonely Planet Ireland (my personal favorite travel book). The phrase/culture book was hilarious, it gave everything from Irish slang, to how to order your fish and chips correctly! Believe me, even with this book---some of the things I said or did probably stuck out like a sore thumb.

As soon as I got the Lonely Planet book, I started making list of things I'd like to do--one of which was to stay in a castle! Thomas graciously booked a very cool castle near Galway in western Ireland. We took a lovely road trip there, and guess what I took lots of pictures of?

Baby lambs...of course...


We saw several thatched houses on the way. I guess they are becoming less popular because insurance companies aren't willing to insure them anymore...imagine that...

We arrived at the AbbeyGlen Castle...and it was almost like they knew we were coming...they flew the American and the Irish flag for our arrival!


The castle was very 'NEAT' (see I do use that word!)---it had a cool feel to it, and the ground were beautiful! We walked down to the local town of Clifden and had dinner at a pub. Even after our many photo shoots of the baby lambs, Thomas ordered traditional Irish Stew (with baby lambs in it) and couldn't figure out why I wouldn't eat it....



After our night in the castle, we took one of the most beautiful drives I've ever been on. We drove onto Skye Road, which runs along the coast and looks out over old castles, islands that lie off the coast and...more baby lambs....

Later in the day, we drove to Galway--a cute beach town a few hours away. Thomas can remember having his first holidays there and even showed me the house they stayed in, which he remembers from being 4 years old!

On the way there...this little guy was in the road....
We had a nice, relaxing day in Gallway--and a great dinner that evening. Gallway is a college town and definitely has the 'feel' to it--it was a fun place to spend a day!

Toilets in Galway that you have to pay to use. Apparently even paying for them doesn't stop them from still being disgusting...

No comments: